Tabora Jazz

Nothing about Tabora Jazz anywhere on the internets … absolutely nothing. We do know that they performed Rosa that I originally thought was done by Western Jazz thanks to memwana but that is about it. I have one of their albums and it is very very good.

As an aside, if you have a moment, pop over to YouTube at this link and see Shiko Mawatu doing a quick rendition of Rosa

ntwiga.net Tabora Jazz – Alhamdulillah

Fadhili Williams

The man who gave the world Malaika (Angel) in a nice ballad.

Fadhili Williams   Fadhili Williams

ntwiga.net Fadhili Williams Mdawida – Wee Jane

Bilenge Musica

Bilenge Musica

Here is Bilenge Musica off their album from the start of the millenium Rumba is rumba with the title track for the album.

ntwiga.net Bilenge Musica – Rumba is Rumba

Orchestra Super Mazembe

Orchestra Super Mazembe

I have posted tracks from Kaivaska by Orchestra Super Mazembe before, here is one more.

ntwiga.net Orchestra Super Mazembe – Mokano

Kilwa Jazz Band

Kilwa Jazz Band

From the album Tunazikumbuka, here is Kilwa Jazz Band. If you want to learn a little more about the band which was started in 1958 and went on to become a national treasure of Tanzania, you can start here

ntwiga.net Kilwa Jazz Band – Naomba Nafasi Ya Kusema Nawe

[edit]
I have found another link with the story of Muhidini Gurumo who is a Tanzanian music legend who played with Kilwa Jazz among many other groups that he helped build from the group up that you can find at this link.
[end edit]

Today’s track of the week has had a long long history for me. The track Fire from Aswad was on the very first CD that I ever bought. For a ton of money I might add: I think this particular CD cost me almost $25. In fact, this track WAS the reason that I bought the CD. That particular CD, Distant Thunder would definitely still be on my Desert Island disks list if I had one along with maybe 5 Wanyika albums and some deep house.

But I digress from the task at hand …

Aswad

Aswad are still around and I still do not regret spending the money.

ntwiga.net Aswad feat. Shabba Ranks – Fire

Finally, , if you are new to the site or trying to figure out how to do something, please read this post.

This post is tagged

17 Responses

1. matt says:

Steve…if you haven’t checked it there is a great reissue of Mestro King Kweli being sold by Sterns.

Thanks for the heads-up Matt, now I know what I will tell the wife I want for Thanksgiving (I push for gifts every holiday I can!)

- Steve

2. Jeff Msangi says:

Steve,
    The Kilwa Jazz track just made my weekend.What a classic!

3. Doug says:

I don’t know who borrowed from whom, but the Kilwa Jazz song is an African Fiesta tune from 1966, Mokolo Nakokufa. It’s on the new Stern’s compilation of Tabu Ley songs: http://www.sternsmusic.com/disk_info.php?id=STCD3027-28
    Listen to song 10.

Excellent catch Doug!

Do you mind if I ask how you remembered that – these tracks are atleast 10 to 15 years apart? I had never seen this particular Tabu Ley compilation nor heard the track before so I could not make the association.

Another interesting find out of all of this: Once I started browsing the Stearns catalog from here, I ended up at The Rough Guide to Franco which has the original cover of Infidelite Mado by Franco. Now, while I have blogged about the only version I had listened to of this that was done by Soukous Stars with Malage in 2006 I think in New Jersey, I had never heard the original version which Mike thinks is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I am inclined to agree a little.

I should post both tracks up to give people a chance to compare them …

- Steve

4. gilly says:

Again, ROSA is performed by Western Jazz Band wana Soboso. This is a fact.

Thanks for setting me straight Gilly. A huge part of learning about this music is interacting with people who know about it so I appreciate it that you have taken the time to leave this comment and make the correction.

- Steve

5. Ronald says:

Steve

On this page there are 2 Tabora Jazz Band singles

Thanks for the links Ronald. Now, do you know if Tabora Jazz are still in business or did they wind up?

- Steve

6. Ronald says:

Hi Steve

On this page I found two Tabora Jazz band singles

7. Doug says:

I don’t think Tabora Jazz ever recorded Rosa. I agree with gilly above. Steve, the song is on your Vigelegele LP by Western Jazz.

Thank you for the correction Doug.

- Steve

8. kabuga says:

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the good work.
    I can only manage 2.15min of mokano.
    what could be the problem?

I am not sure what you mean by Mokano, is it a track?

Tracks typically go down after having been up for 2 weeks so anything that has been on the site for more than that period of time will no longer be accessible. If there is a specific track that you would like for me to put up on the web again, please let me know and I will repost it.

- Steve

9. Ronald says:

Hi Steve

I wouldn’t know if Tabora Jazz still exists.

10. gilly says:

Friends, Tabora jazz is no longer in business. The band was based in Tabora town, Tanzania. All the tracks in market today were released in 1970s and early 1980s. A new Tabora jazz erupted in Dar es Salaam ( late 1990s) with little success and disappeared.

11. [...] – Mwigerekanio I thought about this a little and decided to post both versions of Infidelite Mado: the first is by the Grand Maestro himself [...]

12. zim says:

hmmm,

according to the cached version of this article from the East african dated May 10, 2004 -the reformed Tabora Jazz may still be around

13. Maingi says:

hi, keep up the good work of getting us the East African Music. Cross check the links, some are broken :(

14. Todd Hart says:

Steve – I put up some more Tabora Jazz on my blog. Thanks for keeping me informed :)

15. Julius Juma says:

Could you please post the link to the song Bilenge Musica By Bilenge Musica Du Zaire

16. kabalo akida says:

Hi gilly i understand Tabora exists in Dar es salam staged in Bugurunibut perform from Mlandizi using hired instruments. kindly find out. also looking for song NIMENGI YANAYO NISHANGAZA KUHUSU MAPENZI YA KISASA NA NILILAZWA JELAA JAMANI KOSA LANGU MIMI NILILOFANYA NIKALAZWA JELAA KUWATEMBELEA NDUGU ZANGU i will really appreciate. Artist not known to me Be they ATOMIC OR KILWA.

17. visit the next web site says:

visit the next web site…

musical link: Tabora Jazz, Fadhili Williams, Bilenge Musica, Orchestra Super Mazembe…