6 tracks today since I once again find myself unable to make conversation: It is Thanksgiving weekend after all here in the Great White North and family always always comes first.

Hopefully, using music as a means of persuasion is an approach that might allow you all to forgive me for being late in getting this week’s tracks posted on time.

Bopol Mansiamina

The Best of Bopol Mansiamina Bopol Mansiamina - photo: © Fred Hines photo: © Fred Hines

From the album Pitie
ntwiga.net Bopol Mansiamina – Ca Cest Quoi

Here is a link to Pitie that was up a long time ago.

East African rhumba circa 1970/1980 Bopol Mansiamina & Mode Success – Pitie

Abana ba Nasery

Abana ba Nursery

ntwiga.net Abana Ba Nasery – Abakhasi Bano

ntwiga.net Abana Ba Nasery – Abandu Bandi

Simba Wanyika / Les Wanyika

Simba Wanyika

East African rhumba circa 1970/1980 Simba Wanyika – Mwongele

East African rhumba circa 1970/1980 Les Wanyika – Lift kwa jirani pt. 1 & pt. 2

Mbaraka Mwinshehe & Moro Jazz Band

Mbaraka Mwishehe & Moro Jazz Band  Mbaraka Mwishehe & Moro Jazz Band

ntwiga.net  Mbaraka Mwishehe & Moro Jazz Band – Jogoo La Shamba

ntwiga.net Mbaraka Mwishehe & Moro Jazz Band – Sururu Oyee

No track of the week for today but it should be back next week. I also have a ton of requests in the queue so next week will be a an request post meaning that if you asked for something a while back, you will finally be able to get it if I do have it.

That is it people. I am done.

See you all very soon.

Finally, if you are new to the site or trying to figure out how to do something, please read this post.

This post is tagged

22 Responses

1. Nobrun says:

Hi Steve,
    Would you (or anyone else) know when Mwinshehe’s ‘Jogoo La Shamba’ was released?

October 1983. This was from Ukumbusho Vol. 3 ( search for Ukumbusho Vol. 3 on this page).

Ukumbusho Vol. 3

- Steve

2. Ssembonge says:

M’Ntwiga, I would like to request GEMA songs. Something tells me you have a few kinandas up your sleeve. Are you saving the best for last. Throw in at least one wandidi per post if you know what I mean. The western Kenya songs are okay.

Thanks.

3. Tom says:

Hi Steve,
    I’ve been lookin for Mwinshehe’s “Ujamaa na kujitegemea”. Any chance you can post it? I stumbled onto your site in my search and the music you have been putting up is great.
    Thanks

4. gilly says:

Hi Steve. Thanks for a great post……..Pitie!. I also enjoyed ‘Lift kwa Jirani’ by Les Wanyika. I believe the group was East Africa’s top band ever!

Nobrun’s request … ‘Jogoo la Shamba’ was released in 1972.

5. benoit says:

Hello Steve

big up for let us listen to so much great african vibes !
    this is a blessing !

In the last post the tune 12 Mbaraka Mwishehe & Moro Jazz Band – Sururu Oyee.mp3
    seems to have an encoding problem which is sad because the music is lovely !!
    could you check that ?

bravo & take care

benoit

6. gilly says:

Steve this coming week Id like to request for a brilliant track by John Ngereza’s Les Wanyika ‘ Safari ya Samburu’.

I remember the lyrics!

Rafiki yoyoyo,
    Kwaheri wende ufike salama,
    Safari yako kwenda Samburu, Kuona ndugu, jamaa, marafiki.
    Utapofika Maralal, nisalimie Dr Maina, Mwezi December nataraji,
    Niombe livu nifike niwaone.

Safari yetu Les Wanyika, tulipofika Maralal,
    Tulifurahi kuwapata, rafiki wema na wenye nia njema.

Chrs
    Kwanza asante Dr Maina, tena asante ndugu Omollo, wenyeji wote maralal, Les Wanyika twatoa shukurani kwenu,
    kuonyesha imani na mapenzi. Itakuwa furaha kuonana tena, hata kama kwa mwaka mara moja.

Asante sana bi Josephina, wenyeji wote Maralal, ilikuwa ni mwanzo wala sio mwisho,kwaherini mbaki salama. itakuwa furaha kuonana tena……..

Maralal Samburu tutarudi tena, tufurahi na wewe kama vile mwanzo. (This chorus goes with names of Dr Maina, Omolo, Josephine Shoto, and Rama bin Rama Lizee la salaam).

7. Omar says:

Mbaraka Mwinshehe will always bring back fond memories of those good old days.

8. Charlie says:

Wow, what is the story behind Abana Ba Nasery? They have an intriguing sound – almost cajun almost celtic. Great post! Thanks.

I am not sure but my understanding is that the name literary translates to Nursery Boys (or Kindergarten Boys).

Here is a link to a one page synopsis that I found of a paper about them on JSTOR as well as another link to Doug Paterson’s page.

Not much else about them out there. Can anyone else out there help?

- Steve

9. [...] Franco Luambo Makiadi & TP OK. Jazz. – Massu On October 14th, Tom said [...]

10. Samuel says:

Dear Steve,
    Thanks thousands of times for posting this selection, I have been loking for pitie and finally I got it here. When I first heard it I was only 12. The last juke boxes were still there in Nakuru and from outside I could see people dancing it in bars.

11. steve says:

Hey Steve,
    Thanks for the lovely music,do you have Oyoo daktari by Musa juma?thanks

12. osoro says:

Steve,
    This is a fantastic job. The records you spin have the original beats. No dilution. Keep it up. Make more selections. May God bless you.

13. naliakar says:

Please Please could someone find me Kiam’s “Mbale” and Veve’s “Mwana Mburu”. My life literally depends on these two great songs from the seventies.

14. Lydia says:

A little late for Christmas , but right on time for new year

Happy Christmas – Mbaraka Mwinshehe

And Picnic ya Volcano – Mbaraka

Enough to make you homesick :-)

15. john maroko says:

I am happy with the work. thank you.
    there is a song I am looking for – safari ya mararal by simba wa Nyika.
    kindly assist.I will be glad and keep up the good spirit.

16. kondwani banda says:

i like his music and iam sure will live for years. he was a very great musician for Tanzania. but his music CDs arent available these days when we move in local shops.

17. [...] asked for some help with my attribution on a couple of tracks, Gilly asked for Safari ya Samburu which I do not have while Joe was looking for lyrics for a couple of others. Finally, Jay asked if [...]

18. Leonaedo says:

Hi steve, nice to meet you, thanks for the music that you put it, i would like more music of orchestre kiam, for example:
    - Mami 1 & 2 (Kanza Bayone) Orchestre Kiam,

- Ya ngambo (Mboyo Bola) [Cavacha] 1974
    - Nini (Bakolo Keta) [Cavacha] 1974
    - Trop tard ami (Kiamwangana Verckys) [Cavacha]
    - Azangai 1 & 2 (Shungu) [cavacha]
    - Kobondela (Denewade) [Cavacha]
    - Niamaraley

congratulations !! and go ahead!!

20. Sheila says:

This is the main reason I read http://www.ntwiga.net. Marvelous posts.

21. collaboratores veritatis@codex gustavianum

22. COLLABORATORES VERITATIS@CODEX GUSTAVIANUM.