A request: can anyone help me identify the group, singer and track in this clip please? It is about 45 seconds from Ukoo Fulani/Mau Mau’s Dandora Burning.

Since the singing is pure Swahili rather than Lingala, it makes me think that this is one of the Wanyika off-shoots or a group with some Tanzanian’ heritage.

Can anyone help?

East African rhumba circa 1970/1980 Who is this?

Finally, if you are new to the site or trying to figure out how to do something on the site, please read this.

This post is tagged

25 Responses

1. Anon says:

Baba Gaston maybe?

2. Samuel says:

The Kiswahili song at the background,has words like, sikusimuliwa hayo ninayoyasema, nimekusikia mwenyewe ukimsimanaga huyo msichana… and later in the song, penzi maua, penzi upepo, sina neno mimi, kwa kuwa najua huyo ni mzazi mwenziyo… I think it’s Chiriku Maneti with Mlimani park ochestra. I don’t know the name of the track.

3. Samuel says:

Sorry Steve,
    I think I have confused Chiriku maneti with Cosmas Tobias chidumule. I think it’s cosmas singing in the song is usitumie pesa kama fimbo.

4. Samuel says:

Sorry Steve,
    I have confused Chiriku maneti with Cosmas Tobias chidumule. It’s cosmas singing and the song is usitumie pesa kama fimbo. The group is DDc Mlimani park ochestra.
    At one point Cosmas mentions his name, mpenzi amesema Cosmas…

5. Josephine says:

Samuel, your answer 1n number 3 is right on the money. That’s “Usitumie pesa kama fimbo” which is on the “MV mapenzi” album. With songs like “mume wangu jerry”, Neema” “Clara” etc. I could send a clean copy although I though I’d seen a clean copy of this on your blog Steve!
    Samuel, I’ll get back to you in detail concerning the linguistics chat because It’s a fetish topic of mine. I spent about five years pouring through “le peitit Robert (Roberts and Collins) for the bilingual), when we had long passages of translation from French to English (thème) and then English to French (Version).Part of my courses at uni in Rennes 2 here in France. By the time you’ve sweat enough, you’re quasi bilingual.

While I did have a couple of the other tracks, this one track I do not remember having.

- Steve

6. Josephine says:

The lyrics of the entire song are actually here as you can see they’re by Cosmas Chindimule

Thank you so very much all for the links and the identification!

- Steve

7. Josephine says:

oops, I think my likn there isn’t so clear cos you gotta scroll to get to the lyrics of “Usitumie pesa. I’m putting here the home page. You simply click on “usitumie pesa and voilà!
    Otherwise folks while you’re still on this page, there’s this beautiful song called “maudhi nyumbani. Just seen the lyrics there too. Does anyone remember it, I can’t even start dreaming of anyone having it. Might just be lucky to catch it on radio and record when I go home!

Maudhi Nyumbani – Mlimani]

[Wote]

Maudhi maudhi ya kila siku eee

Hayo mimi sintoweza aaa

Ni vigumu kukubali umekosa aa

Ingawa dharau na maudhi mengi

Bora tujiulize tunatoka wapi tunakwenda wapi sasa aaaaa

Suala kubwa kwetu ni watoto

Ikiwa tutakosana watakwenda wapi ee?

Ikiwa tutakosana watakwenda wapi , wazazi wao ni sisi

Yafaa tujirekebishe……………..!

(repeat x 3)

(Chorus)

[Wote]

Poa ewe kipenzi changu nimekusikia

Naahidi mbele yako nitajirekebisha

[Ngurumo]

Kwa kweli mpenzi tunayofanya janatuabisha

Tunapogombana watu hujaa tele nyumbani….!

[Wote]

Poa ewe kpenzi changu nimekusikia

Naahidi mbele yako nitajirekebisha

8. gilly says:

Josephine; you are indeed a very reliable resource in this blog. You also seem to like DDC Mlimani Park. Nasikitika sina MAUDHI. Hata hivyo, please enjoy the following DDC tracks here:

Mume Wangu Jerry

M. V. Mapenzi 1

Matatizo ya Uke Wenza

Majirani Huzima Radio

Naheshimu Ndoa

Talaka ya Hasira

9. Samuel says:

@Josephine and Gilly,
    There is a swahili song that I used to like a lot but I don’t remember the name. Here are some of the words:

O oo mama Maria
    Hebu punguza hasira
    Namsaka mbaya wangu
    anayetugombanisha
    Siku nikimpata
    Mambo nitasawazisha

What’s the name of the song if you recognise these words please?

10. Tina says:

Does anybody know or recall these two popular Les Kamale dancesongs “Salanga” and “Afida na ngai? Need your kind help in finding and posting them.

11. gilly says:

@ Samwel,
    That song NAMSAKA MBAYA WANGU by Marijani Rajab, Dar International Och.

12. Mutunga says:

Steve,

Unless I’m “seeing things” or my computer is playing tricks on me, you’ve been doing some experiments with the graphical presentation on this blog. The first trial (Tuesday) was very impressive. And then yesterday the comments seemed to be all in Italics, which made them harder to read. But then it might be my Internet provider determining how I see this page. Anyway at this moment, it has its usual look.

Yep I was experimenting or a while.

Lets go back to the Tuesday one for a while and see if I get some more positive comments.

- Steve

13. Lydia M says:

Hi Steve
    Yes I noticed the new look too. I’m afraid I prefer the original look. The original layout appears more friendly with the artist graphics upfront and by using the next page link, it was much easier to navigate to older stuff that one may have missed. One could also search content by date. These features allow you to browse more easily and find content that you’re not familiar with instead of putting in search phrases which will only give you that which you are familiar with. I discovered artists whose names I didn’t know and unfamiliar song titles this way.I tried browsing through the archives, but stuff I could easily find before was difficult to find and sometimes I couldn’t.
    The new look to me looks too serious and “official”….. sorry but I love the old look!

14. Esororo says:

Hello Steve,

I see you are working on a new face for the blog. It looks nice. For a while I thought it was my computer because I have been having issues with it. But, I figured it out. One thing though, someone who has not been to the blog before won’t figure it out. It will be hard for them to navigate or find the music. In other words they will give up and move on. Tuesdays face was fine, my opinion or the old one much easier. All you see with Wednesdays’ page is the comments. You need a face (first) page that engages an individual as soon as they drop in. And I think the old page did that.
    Later…

Thank you all for the feedback.

The old look is back!

- Steve

15. kabuga says:

Namsaka mbaya wangu – nostalgia tele.
    Am grabing the cd in a while from melodica. My weekend is now taken care of.

Thanks Gilly and Samwiri.

16. gilly says:

Post No. 15 above: Kabuga,
    We must share that one brother, please upload it right here!

17. Joe Farley says:

@Samuel, Kabuga, and Gilly

You can listen to Namsaka Mbaya Wangu at:

Click the ‘Music’ tab, and the track is listed under Zilipendwa. Enjoy.

18. Samuel says:

@Joe Farley, Gilly and kabuga
    Thanks for informatio on ‘namsaka mbaya wangu’. Next time I am in nairobi I know what to ask for at Melodica.

19. Samuel says:

To anyone who might know this, where can I get sheet music for eastafrican secular music? I entertain myself with spanish guitar and would like to try something eastafrican.

20. esororo says:

Samuel.

You should try here.

21. Samuel says:

Thanks Esororo.

@Steve,
    On (summer) holidays?

No summer break for me this year until late September when I will be bringing the kids to Orlando to spend time with family and check out DisneyWorld.

Until then, just lots of choma’ing with friends and family.

- Steve

22. kabuga says:

Samuel,

The cd i got is of very poor quality. I have a thread about on Africambiance.

23. Charles Dadu says:

Good stuff….Kindly post on the blog the song Neema by DDC Mlimani Park…been longing to listen to it!

24. kabalo akida says:

My request is to whoever may have this songs in archives PESA NYINGI NIMEPOTEZA KWA WEWE MARY KWA WEWE UNAYE NISUMBUWA ALAFU SASA UNANIKIMBIYA ,NIKIFIKA NYUMBANI SIKUONONI YOYOYO NINA KWAMBIYA NIMESHAPATA MWENGINE WAKUSHINDA WEWE MARIA KIPENZI KOSA LAKO MWENYEWE SI LAMTU> The other song –NIMENGI YANAYO NISHANGAZA KUHUSU MAPENZI YA KISASA, KUSEMA KWELI NI UWONGO-UWOGO MWINGI UWONGO EE KUSEMA KWELI NI KUDANGANYANA- MAPENZI HASA HAKUNAEE HAKIKA KWELI NIKUKUDANGANYANA. I dont remember the artist but it was during the time of dancing CHACHACHA. May u plse find for me or communicate thru here or mobile +254721958177/+254788125023 Mombasa Kenya.

25. Brigitte says:

Brigitte…

musical link: who is this – music.ntwiga.net…